Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Dry Socket, Wet Grass!

Owing to the worst 'toothache' I have ever had, I have not been able to go and see my Hook ponies for over a week. These days I start to feel very uneasy if I haven't been able to go for a while. Thank goodness Reserve Manager Tom, Agent M, and the Lookers are all on the case and keeping me in touch with how my 'team' are doing. Conditions have been difficult for the last week and a half - torrential rain and now thick ice, but the ponies seem to be fine. 

Here's a combination of their pictures:





This is going to be the most testing time for the ponies, and it's only if they can get through these leaner months without getting too lean themselves, that they will be allowed to stay; they are only allowed to have supplemental feeding if there is actually snow on the ground. 




I have always thought that ponies should get a little round in the summer and a little slim in the winter but there is a fine line between what is acceptable and what is not. Neither I nor the HIWWT want people ringing up to complain about their condition.