Thursday, February 20, 2014

19th February, 2014 Two-thirty



Six days ago I was contacted by M, a lady from another part of the country asking for my help with her ex-racehorse, Laddie He had a complicated history having been hit by a tractor and trailer. Miraculously, or more likely because of tender, patient care, she brought him back from his injuries and to the stage where he can actually be ridden in traffic again. However she now had an issue with his teeth which she described as follows:

"When I had him, he had been turned away for a year, and his teeth needed floating badly - ulcerated mouth. Our local veterinary hospital knew him from racing and said he was an absolute 's**t' to do, even under sedation.  Every year it is the same - enough sedation for 3 horses and he still lifts you off the ground.  Just recently, he 'told' me there was pain in his mouth and I called the vet.  They x-rayed him and said one of his pre-molars was cracked, all the way down.  Three hospital visits later (...as they actually tried to get it out with sedation, couldn't get it all out and then he had to go back for a g/a so they could go in through his cheek to push out the root), of course he will now be worse than ever when having his teeth done - and I really don't want to put him through it (and of course now I will have to have it done twice a year).  So...my thinking is...I buy an electric toothbrush and start desensitising him myself (he will let me put my hands in his mouth, but not the vet).  This done, my intention is to ask a local equine dentist to come and try to do it without any sedation at all (my belief is that the sedation process itself stresses him).
I would appreciate your advice - and a possible visit."

Since she was so far away and the fuel would cost so much in the first place, I suggested that she ring me to discuss him and perhaps she would make a donation to Shy Lowen in exchange for that. Given how well they had overcome massive trauma in the past, I was hopeful that she would be able to follow advice carefully and work with him really sympathetically.

In the event I talked her through incremental desensitisation techniques which could be coupled with clicker training.

"Just wanted to let you know...every day since talking to you I have been doing some desensitising work in Lad’s mouth with hands and toothbrush and using click (not terribly well as I tend to use other verbal praising, and have to keep reminding myself to click, but I figure as long as it is a sound he knows and is happy with that won’t matter too much?).  This morning the vet came to check that all was OK in his mouth since the extraction.  I asked for him not to be sedated if possible.  With me holding him and clicking/talking to him, the vet was able to get her hand right into his mouth, pull his tongue to one side, check the gauze was still in place, feel the rest of his teeth – all without sedation!  It took ten minutes instead of ½ hour and his reward was straight out into the field with his mates.

I am so chuffed.  Thanks again for your time, just talking it through with someone who understands was fantastic.  I will keep on so that next time his float is due, hopefully it will all be easier for him."

Slowly slowly becomes quickly quickly.