Sunday, February 23, 2014

23rd February, 2014 Wild and Woolly

After quite a bit of work where I haven't taken pictures of the horses you are about to be inundated by pictures of a small Welsh Pony called Piglet. Very very beautiful, he has got the highest pitched whinny I have ever heard! He was delivered this morning in a very impressive horse-box and looked minute within its cavernous sides.


I start work with him tomorrow. Although he accepts a rug and has even worn a saddle, his owner is concerned that he is still very anxious about everything that is done with him and leaves if he feels under too much pressure. He also seems to greet each new day as if he has never done the things he has done before or seen the things he has seen before. I've got my work cut out but hope I can make a significant difference. In the meantime he has had the rest of the day off to settle in and it was fascinating to watch the welcoming ceremony between him and Indy.








Unless there is a really good reason I would never leave a pony in a field on its own for very long. The interaction between ponies satisfies an innate need for companionship, touch, mutual grooming and synchronising. They know it's not a good idea to be alone. These two settled within ten minutes, decided they really liked each other. and began to eat side by side. I appreciate that putting horses in together is never free of risk, especially those early moments when they may feel defensive, but the more they learn their social graces the easier it is for them to integrate when changes have to be made.


I met Linsey when we were both involved in the rescue/ feeding of some cows in a flooded fields at Woodgreen. I managed to wangle myself a visit to her lambing sheds and that's where David and I went this afternoon. Such a peaceful place, Linsey leaves the sheep alone to lamb unless they are in trouble and just keeps a quiet eye on them from a good distance. After lambing they are decanted into a super poly tunnel to relax with others for a few days until they are ready to go out. This is another light and airy place and all was serene when we went in today.