Friday, May 25, 2012

25th May, 2012 Orphan Annie




Annie's story is one of the saddest I have ever heard but it has a very happy ending. When the farmer that owned Annie as a foal was being investigated for neglecting a lot of his horses, he set about shooting them himself in front of the others. When Annie was rescued, she was extremely thin and had mange and she required a lot of medical treatment. This meant that a head-collar had to be put on as a matter of urgency. Today she looks amazing and all that is left of that experience is a worry about being approached with a head-collar.I was asked to work on that and to do some groundwork with her.

Once again we are back to energy. Annie's owner finds it hard to talk about what happened to Annie without becoming emotional, intense and animated. Accordingly we have talked about leaving that emotion at the gate since it is no help at all when training her. We used clicker training for the head-collar work and Annie thought that was fantastic.

"We all thoroughly enjoyed the session..."MR

Received 6th June : "I got up the following morning with a much more positive attitude and said to myself we are going to do this!! From that day I have been catching her am and pm, changing her rugs without having a rope on her and she even whinnies when I come into the field none of which were even in the equation before. This is such a huge hurdle that I thought would never happen and although we have a long way to go I can't thank you enough from both of us."MR