Wednesday, May 27, 2009

27th May, 2009 Walking Out



Yesterday, the theme of the day was separation anxiety. Codie (above) has formed a deep attachment to his donkey friend and after a period of no work, decided that he couldn't bear to leave him. Similarly, Bess, that I went to see in the afternoon, has moved home after 15 years and become very attached to her new herd; in her case she has rarely been ridden alone as she worked in a riding school. By setting up the owners with consistent and clear groundwork, both horses have been taken out for a walk on their own today without any trouble. Codie met three huge tractors and couldn't have cared less. I see walking out as a training opportunity rather than just a walk - the horse can be asked not to overtake you (ever), to stop and to go using body language and to meet all sorts of "hazards". We always use hi-viz these days as the traffic is rarely sympathetic to horse owners.


"That's a nice photo! In fact you can see how chilled out Codie is, he looks like he's about to fall asleep! Thank you so much for today - a real confidence boost and I cannot wait to get him walking out more and more. I really felt like my old Codie-boy was back...at last!" SD

Unfortunately I have received a complaint about my book: The weekend weather was lovely, I decided to sit outside and read, picked up your book (although I have already read it once). As it was so warm I sat outside in my undies (not a brilliant image!) and read. The book is so good I ended up reading the whole thing from cover to cover and didn't notice my bra was wonky! the result is righty is whitey lefty is pink!! - your book has ruined my tan!!! JC

The next e-mail came with the heading "Book of the Year"....."So I am not the only one who could not put you marvellous book down, yes I read it from cover to cover too, such a good read and so reinforces all that I learnt on the courses, THANK YOU." SA

"Hi Sarah received your book this morning. Only had time to read to chapter 5 - love the book so far, makes so much sense. I fall in the over compensated on the poor state Ibought her in and she now has no fear of me to the point she will lay down right in front of me, push me around and not respect my space. I am hoping that understanding where I have done wrong will help me put this right as she needs to learn boundaries. I look forward to putting the knowledge I have gained in to practise." RN

"Sarah's book looks to be a really good read - and even if you can't read the photos are lovely." SB - not quite sure this is a recommendation!!

"Well I have started reading your book already - and I am hooked, I wont ever rear or start a foal myself, but this book is wonderful for anyone who is interested in learning more about all equine behaviour because of course, it all starts with the foal, at whatever stage we aquire our own equine friend - so it helps all of us understand Equus - brilliant, will give you more feedback whenI have finished it!"CJ

" I have spent the rest of the weekend reading your book! Just finished it this afternoon and I can recommend it whole heartedly. Your knowledge and empathy for horses shines through. Really excellent, informative and a superb read! I need a foal to practice with now!! I had a real 'light bulb' moment when I read your comments about horses having picture memories like photo albums. That makes so much sense to me and my time with Manny. Work to replace bad photo's with good ones, and don't be surprised if a seemingly (to me) insignificant event sparks recollection of a bad photo - just work through and replace it with a good one. I've been doing that, but suddenly made sense of what I've been doing if that makes sense!"AS

Rosie went home today having had front shoes put on yesterday. She loaded very well and apparently fell asleep most of the way home. She should be able to go straight back in to work in the next few days and I am looking forward to hearing how she goes. Her owner said: A huge thank you to you for giving her such a great, rounded, positive experience and making us feel so welcome. I've learned loads from you just by listening and watching.