Wednesday, March 11, 2015

11th March, 2015 Stars and Other Heavenly Bodies

The usual crew this morning. Tilly was a superstar, nonchalantly striding around the inclosure with Jodie on board and practising a step to the left and a step to the right, stopping and going. She was so soft physically and mentally and made us all smile - a lot.

Natural mounting block

First circuit

Off the lead rein
Nettles was the same according to Jodie who came back grinning again.

A bit of pole work to finish

Then to top it all I delegated riding Theoden to Natasha, who is equally a superstar and I think the best work experience student we've ever had with a great work ethic and thoroughly competent too. She even gets my weird sense of humour. Bella went off the lead rein all the way round. 

Heading towards Kings Garn


This afternoon it was off to meet dressage rider and fish vet, Fiona Macdonald, and her new horse Dundee. Dundee, an Irish Sports Horse whose grandad is Henbit, is delicious and has a really tender heart. Since he came home, Fiona has had to take his bridle apart to be able to put it on as he is terrifically bridle-shy. I worked using clickered treats, bit by bit persuading him that I could be trusted to not touch the leatherwork as I posted his ears forwards under the crown piece. 


Success is never out of reach!
"I really enjoyed meeting you and Natasha too! The pictures are excellent and thank you also for the detailed report. I'll be (hopefully!) putting your methods into practice this morning, and will keep you posted with progress." FMcD
Received 16.3.15: " Bridle gets better by the day...." FMcD
Received 21.3.15: " Very happy to report that Dundee and I went to our first competition together (at Woodington Training Centre) yesterday afternoon and did an Elementary – it was a mixed class of about 22 and we won on 70.83% !! The bridle work is progressing well – but for instance I took it apart yesterday at the competition – I would rather do that from the start so that I set us up to succeed – but at home when there’s time I do it ‘properly’. Many thanks again – since your session with him he seems more content and at ease with me." FMcD