Tuesday, July 2, 2013

2nd July, 2013 At Least Two Good Reasons...

I have only got a couple of hundred copies of my book No Fear, No Force left and therefore need to make a decision about whether to have more printed. The original printers have gone out of business even though they were responsible for all of the Haynes Manual. What better reason to find another printer than this email from Alison Greenwood?:


"Sarah, just a line to say thank you for your fabulous book. Brief history of my "problem"...

Two rescue Shetland fillies, probably aged 3 and 4, arrived in January.  Arrived terrified and badly handled, headcollars tight but not embedded (yet) took an hour to get one of them off the lorry. Once in the paddock they literally shook with fear and ran away when approached.  One was slightly more curious and after a few days managed to get her headcollar off.  Took about two weeks to get the other off.  Big achievement or so I thought.  Unfortunately this made them impossible to catch.  The more curious one of the two I did finally manage to catch with the help of a friend and get the headcollar on.  Bess however had other ideas.  

Over the winter months I did manage to touch her and she was allowing me more and more contact. They lived out with my bigger mares and we ticked along ok.  However it then became evident that both fillies were pregnant and by now desperate for their feet to be trimmed and in need of a tetanus prior to the birth of the foals.  This was achieved with the curious one but Bess was having none of it.  

I asked advice from a horsey Facebook page normally a good source of info for the kinder methods-I was pleased that no one came up with anything I hadn't already considered.  Most suggested time was the best thing, allow her to enjoy the grooming etc, keep her on concrete to wear the feet down and don't bother with the tetanus.  My vet suggested pinning her in the corner with some fencing! He meant well. 

Time was running out and because of following the Dartmoor Hill Ponies on Facebook I had heard of your book and had only ever heard positive things about the book and your work.

Well...I read the book.  Because of already being able to touch Bess pretty much everywhere (not the feet though!) I decided to go straight for the clicker.  Bess was so nervous at first that she jumped out of her skin when I clicked the clicker! But she soon picked it up.  She became more confident but if it got too much she would scurry off (but slower than previously) I would sit on the mounting block and wait. After not many minutes she would come back. It was amazing, she had the choice not too.  We progressed quickly then and left the first session with the nose in the headcollar and the strap held up to the ear.  This was astonishing and a massive achievement.

The next day it took less than five minutes to repeat the experience of the day before and get the headcollar over and attached! I was so confident with her that I put it on and off a few times and left her with it off.  (Having previously thought " I know this isn't wasn't Sarah says to do but if I can get the blooming thing on then I'm gonna keep it on!) 

Something else happened that day too....and nothing I have words for.  The expression in her eyes changed, she became more curious and she even permitted me to touch her mane (her other no go area) I suspect she has been held by it. 


Foal is due any day so I doubt that I'll get that tetanus in time but we are well on the way.  We have the beginnings of a new relationship and for that I can't thank you enough."