Tuesday, November 25, 2014

25th November, 2014 Good Advert


An early morning groom and a last check with the massager before the horses were clipped. The massager is the perfect thing to work on desensitising them to clippers and I try to practice every so often just to make sure that they are both happy with it.



Theoden has only been clipped once before and that was just a bib clip. Today he has had a blanket clip, as did Petra,  and they both stood like angels for the whole thing  I like working alongside my fellow IHRA and clipping expert Sheila Reed because there is no element of MUST about her or me.


The Clip Clip

This afternoon was much harder work since Champ is still inclined to drag people everywhere although there has been some improvement since my last visit. I think his strength and determination come from years of being tethered by a chain against which he was prepared to strain in order to get to more grass. Today I started off by teaching him that just because the stable door is open doesn't mean you should leave and that I always get to go first.


In the yard he was certainly a lot better than the last time and is getting the hang of walking when I walk and stopping when I stop.


The story is not the same on the track going down to the field but it is much easier now that there is a decent surface on it.


The really great news for him is that he now has a field companion and they are getting along fine. Having been a stallion until fairly recently it was important to find a friend who was able to stand up to him and not be too combative. Even better news is that Socks is in charge.


"..many, many thanks for coming last week, I found it very helpful indeed." LW.