Saturday, August 9, 2014

9th August, 2014 A Quiet Life?

Just over a month ago I had a very quiet week and given my usual Eeyore optimism I thought that it was the beginning of the end. The good news is that it was just a blip, a holiday provided by the Horse God, and by the very next week it was more business than usual. Still no need to advertise.

Over the ten years since I became an RA my 'area', if there is one, has been gently and more roughly squeezed by other trainers coming into the field. Some of them are good, some of them are definitely bad (one starved a horse belonging to someone who is now a client of mine) and others are an unknown quantity. There are no industry standards and no professional body overseeing the work that is done. The nearest thing for me is to have the backing and official authorisation of Kelly Marks and Intelligent Horsemanship and a Recommended Associate. All of the Recommended Associates have attended courses, passed practical and theory examinations, submitted extensive case studies and research, been approved, and are insured and evaluated.

We don't just lark about
The ten years since I qualified and was granted RA status have been just as important. I have learned something from every horse I have ever worked with and every person.