Saturday, March 8, 2014

8th March, 2014 We All Make Mistakes...

Interesting but disappointing session with a horse this morning. I was asked to visit a horse that was bought unseen and untried but had all the right credentials according to what the previous owner said and the advert that went with it. Unfortunately the new owner has not been able to catch the horse since the day she arrived two weeks ago and an attempt to contain the horse is a smaller space led to her jumping out of the field; she's worried that she has made a huge mistake but she won't be the first and she won't be the last.  It's hard to say for certain whether the horse has always been hard to catch or whether a change of environment, some rich grass and a fairly powerful electric fence has turned her into a un-catchable horse in two minutes flat. Even with my considerable experience of catching tricky horses, using subtle body language and, where appropriate, food, I could not get this horse to engage with me other than to touch my hand with her nose after which she always moved away. She wasn't even interested in a carrot or nuts. Without the time and stamina to walk her down over several hours. it just wasn't going to work. Unless this horse has a major change of mind in the next couple of weeks then all anyone is going to do is help her to practice her no. Not a good plan. It looks as if I am going to have to take a whole round pen down there fairly soon and then work on enclosing her in a safe place.

It was officially Piglet's day off so we just did some grooming and foot handling today. He's having his feet trimmed on Monday by a tall fella so I thought I'd find one to practise with him.

Nice and relaxed

A little more wary on the right

Still friends. Which one has the biggest ears?
Just time this afternoon to ride Petra out with Sian and Rose and then ride her home. We've covered nigh on sixty miles together over the last ten days.

"Thank you very much indeed for coming out with Rose and me.  It has helped get her going more confidently and I think she enjoyed it, despite getting a little tired!  I certainly enjoyed it, but definitely need to get fitter!" SA