Saturday, October 25, 2014

25th October, 2014 My Bucklebury Friend

Day trip to work with 9 year old Connemara, Casper. It's been three months or more since anyone could get near enough to catch him, even with his headcollar on, and he has got strategies for avoiding any physical contact with humans. Bought through a rescue organisation, who knows what's happened to him in his past because his present home is perfectly pleasant. Whatever has happened it has reinforced his instinctive behaviour - if in doubt, leave.


When I arrived he wouldn't go into the pen that his owners had set up and so we had to slowly fence him in to where he was, reducing the diameter of the electric fencing (but not electrified) bit by bit carefully guaging just how small we could make it without putting too much pressure on him.


Once we were all settled he was willing to approach me if I kept my arms down and to take clickered treats from my hand. Although he would touch me, I wasn't allowed to touch him without him moving off and if I raised my hand, stretching it out towards him, he was off. In situations like these where I haven't got a safe and high sided corral or pen, I can't afford to put an ounce more pressure on him and, even if Join-Up were appropriate, this is not the right set up in which to do it. In any event I would never use Join Up for what is a quasi-feral horse.Instead I walk in very small, slow circles, matching the horse and avoiding eye contact until he offers some tiny sign of wanting to turn in. Then I turn right away, and keep my head right down. I click for every stride towards me until he is right next to me and then I can click, click, click and give him a treat.


Meanwhile we kept his friend Toggie and my friend Jenny in the pen with us to give support and confidence...


...and the Red Kites flew above us.


Eventually we were able to do some following work...


...including figures of eight.


I have convinced the owners that this horse needs a safe, sturdy area in which to work in the future. It needs to become like a hotel with food and water laid on so that he can learn to want to be in there and to enjoy future engagement with humans.

" Thank you, thank you so much for today. It was lovely watching you work with Casper. Thank you also for the 'homework'!!! xx" SA

"Best blog in the horse world! You've given me lots of ideas for moving Merry past her saddle phobia" KN